Mock Interviews and Why They Can Change Your Life
Being out of work can be overwhelming. It can be disheartening, discouraging and downright terrifying. Probably the best investment a person can make, once they find themselves out of work (or if they’re simply looking for a new career choice), is to work with a job coach who specializes in mock interviews. In fact, it’s worthwhile to be sure that the career coach you choose actually specializes in interviews – and perhaps is even a Certified Employment Interview Consultant (CEIC).
Why are mock interviews important? Well, let’s look at a few common situations.
1. A mid-level manager finds themselves out of work after fifteen years with the same company. One would think that fifteen years of service at one job would be an asset, right? Well, of course it is. But what isn’t an asset is that they haven’t been on an interview in fifteen years. And let’s face it, EVERYING leading up to the interview is just prep work. The hundreds of hours reading job postings, working on and sending out resumes, pounding pavement, going to networking events – all of this is simply setting the stage for the interview. THAT is where you need to bring your best stuff – and sadly, there’s no second chances.
2. A top-level sales manager finds himself being called for interview after interview, but not getting even one offer. Yes, one might think it’s just the economy, but let’s face it, even at our worst unemployment rate (a whopping 10%), that still leaves 90% of us employed. And a great sales leader shouldn’t be getting NO job offers. A job coach specializing in mock interviews can work with a candidate on subtle things that might be tripping him or her up, like body language, tone of voice and how they answer the various questions that come up in an interview. It’s not uncommon for a candidate to go on and on, in fact, and never really answer a question at all. These are some of the areas that a job coach certified in interview techniques can help a candidate work through.
The bottom line is that a candidate needs to do everything within their power to be 100% ready to walk into that job interview and share their BEST assets with poise and confidence. It’s much too easy to “think” we’re confident, and instead find ourselves either trying too hard, coming across unintentionally arrogant, or worse, clamming up and getting tongue tied at what might be the most important meeting of our professional lives. A mock interview with a career coach can help us to identify our rough spots and turn them around BEFORE we shake hands with the head of HR or the CEO of our dream company.
Remember, whatever you do, don’t let hopelessness creep in and undermine your job search. There ARE jobs out there and you WILL find one if you’re armed with confidence, a great resume, solid references, and the ability to show up and be poised and amazing at each and every interview.
To your continued success,
Catherine Palmiere, CEIC, CPBA, CPCC, CPC, CTS, CSS
Adam Personnel, Inc (212) 557-9150